Spicy Stuffed Portobello Caps
4 Large Portobello Mushrooms
1/2 lb Spicy Italian Sausage
1/4 cup Hard Salami, Diced
1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers, Sliced into strips
3 cloves of Garlic, Minced
4 oz Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced thin
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Outer Limits Ghost Pepper and Roasted Garlic Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
4-6 Leaves Fresh Basil, Cut into chiffonade
Salt and Pepper, To taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Remove stems from mushrooms, clean and finely dice the stems and set aside. Clean and remove gills from the caps.
3. Brush the portobello caps lightly with extra virgin olive oil on both sides and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Place into the oven on a foil lined baking sheet gill side up and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the sausage from its casing and add to a pan over medium high heat with 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Break the sausage up as it cooks so its in very small pieces. After the sausage is about half way cooked add the salami, garlic and diced mushroom stems.
5. When everything in the pan begins to brown add the balsamic vinegar and hot sauce to deglaze the pan, cook for another 2-3 minutes until sausage is cooked all the way through.
6. Remove the portobello caps from the oven and add a few spoonfuls of the filling to the cap, then lay a slice of mozzarella and a few strips of roasted red pepper over top. Return to the oven with the broiler on high for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is good and melty.
7. Finish with a few pieces of chiffonaded basil, serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: Great alongside a nice arugala salad. If you have any extra filling it is great in an omelette the next morning!