Spicy Italian Burgers
1 lb Ground Beef
4 Burger Buns (Kaiser Rolls or Ciabatta are good for this, something sturdy)
1/2 lb Hot Soppressata, Sliced Thin
1/2 lb Fresh Mozzarella, Cut Into 8 Slices
1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
1 Small Red Onion, Sliced Thin
1/8 cup Basil, Chiffonaded (About 10-12 leaves)
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/2 tsp Outer Limits Ghost Pepper and Roasted Garlic Hot Sauce
2 Tbsp Champagne Vinegar
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper, To taste
1. In a medium bowl mix together the tomatoes, red onion, basil, garlic, hot sauce, champagne vinegar and olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and gently mix together. Place the tomato salad in the fridge and let it marinate, this could be done as far as a day in advance.
2. Divide your pound of beef into 4 equal parts and form into patties. Season both sides liberally with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Place soppressata slices in a large pan, start with the pan cold and raise it to medium heat after placing the soppressata in. Allow the fat to render out of the soppressata flipping it once after 2-3 minutes. Leave on the heat until it is crispy and starting to turn golden brown about 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place your burger patties into the pan that has the rendered soppressata fat and cook half way. At the half way point flip your burgers and add two slices of fresh mozzarella to each. Put a lid on the pan to help the cheese melt, allow the burger to cook to your desired doneness.
4. When the burgers are done place them on your buns, top with a few slices of the crispy soppressata and a few spoonfuls of the spicy tomato salad. Enjoy!
Note: If you like some greens on your burger or you have a flimsier bun and don't want the juices to soak through put a few extra slices of basil on the bottom bun before the patty. Arugula would also go great with the flavors in this burger.