Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
Courtesy of MeasureAndPinch.com
2 13oz Cans Black Beans, Rinsed
2 Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed
2 White Onions
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
3 Tbsp Cilantro, Chopped, Plus More for Garnish
2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Limes, 1 Juiced, 1 Sliced for Garnish
3-4 Shakes of Outer Limits Jalapeno Lime
1 Small Container Fat Free Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper To Taste
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, add the olive oil and chopped onion. Cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes until translucent and slightly browned. Stir often.
2. Add the garlic and all spices including salt & pepper, stir to combine. Add broth, beans and sweet potato. Add water or extra broth to cover, approximately 2 cups. Heat until it reaches a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
4. If you are using a blender, let the soup cool. Then ladle 3/4 of the soup into the blender in batches. Blend until smooth and reserve in a separate large bowl. Return the blended soup to the remaining unblended soup into the pot and stir. Store or reheat at this point.
5. If you're using an immersion blender, blend leaving some chunks of potato and whole beans.
6. Once blended to your liking, stir in lime juice. Taste and season with salt & pepper as needed. Ladle into serving bowls and top with lime slices, sour cream and cilantro leaves.
Note: If you'd like the soup to be a bit spicier replace the Jalapeno Lime Hot Sauce with Habanero!